Have you ever got up from your desk chair after playing online pokies for a while and felt like you’d carried a house up a mountain? Your back aches, your eyes ache, your mouse arm aches, your legs have pins and needles and your brain feels as if it has been coated in wax. It is far too easy to lose yourself in online pokies, to the detriment of your body … and once you’ve been injured, playing those slots might never be the same. Today we check out how to prevent and treat the type of repetitive strain injuries you might get from online pokies.
Set a Timer
There is no place it is easier to create reminders to get up and have a break than on your computer. If you use Microsoft Outlook or any other work organiser program, chances are you have a reminder function. If not, Google for ‘online timers’ or ‘online alarm clocks’. Set it and forget it … until it’s time to get up and have a break!
Stand, Don’t Sit
For most of us, sitting at a chair in front of a desk is the default position for playing online pokies … and every other computer task. Unfortunately, sitting down for long periods (even if you exercise regularly) takes years off your life, leaving you prone to unbalanced glucose metabolism, fat production, heart attacks and death. Consider creating a desk which is high enough to stand at, and watch your health skyrocket.
Sit Properly to Play Online Pokies
With online pokies, payout percentages are higher, the environment is private … and therefore we tend to sit in one spot for a lot longer. It is even more important that you sit according to good ergonomic guidelines when playing online pokies, which include:
- Sitting with your feet flat on the floor, your knees at hip height and your hips pushed back into the back of the chair. If your feet will not sit flat on the floor while allowing your elbows to be slightly higher than your keyboard and mouse, you need to lift your chair up and get a footrest.
- Sitting close to your desk and your mouse
- Using a mousepad with a wrist rest if you get numbness in your hands or wrists
- Positioning your screen so that it is directly in front of you and just below eye level when your head is in a neutral position.
- Sitting with your screen at least an arm’s length away. Use glasses if you have trouble seeing your slots … though most online pokies are easy to see for every type of eye.
Move Without Moving
It’s also a good idea to get into the habit of moving, even while you are sitting in your seat. Flex your calves to raise your heels off the ground, move your thighs in and out or jiggle your seat a little to keep the blood flowing. If you can keep it up while playing online pokies, you can do a decent workout without even realising it!